Pop-Tarts! The cornerstone of any nutritious [fly-fishing] breakfast

pop tartsThey pack over seventy grams of cast ‘n crank powering carbohydrates, and are available at finer food outlets across the 50 states. That is, unless you’re Pete McDonald. Portable, packable, and chock full of preservatives, this individually-wrapped foodstuff might just be the most efficiently contained source of 7 vitamins and minerals a fly fisher could get their grubby little paws on.

It puts power packs, cliff chips, and goop-de-goos to shame – the ubiquitous, sometimes colorful, and always sweet sensation…Pop Tarts! The cornerstone of any nutritious [fly-fishing] breakfast.

I’m partial to Frosted Blueberry, but sometimes presentation forces decisions (as opposed to decisions dictating presentation). Smores run a distance second, and I’ll settle for Frosted Strawberry over a frozen bacon, egg and cheese burrito any day. Ok…maybe not.

What’s your foundation, for a good start to a morning skunking?

MG signing off (fingers crossed that store will replenish their blueberry stocks before my next visit)

Comments

MG…Pop Tarts are a great breakfast choice for growing anglers of all ages. Strawberry and Blueberry are dead-on favorites, and a fine follow-up to Jimmy Dean bacon/egg/cheese biscuits prior to hitting the road (with extra bacon and a large coke).

Glad to see I’m not the only one with a refined breakfast palette.

Sounds to me like you are a regular pre-fishing breakfast connoisseur!

Matt Dunn says:

Dude, what’s a goop-de-goo?

Tosh says:

Glad you included the call-out to Pedro McDonald. He’ll have an observation or three on this subject. Have you tried his recipe for smoked bluefish on Pop-tart points? The brown sugar and cinnamon does a fine job of disguising the blood/oil problem.

As a certified Pop-Tart connoisseur, I of course wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of this essential part of the fisherman’s arsenal. I would also concur on your choice of frosted blueberry as a preferred flavor, though your failure to mention brown sugar cinnamon as an equal does cast suspicion on the completeness of your field work.

@Doctor Dunn – It’s that stuff Lance Armstrong invented…you know, that stuff! Where have you been?

@Tosh – I’ve attempted to pry that recipe out of him numerous times. I guess I’m just not worthy.

@Streamer – As a certified Pop-Tart connoisseur… You passed that test? I’ve failed it twice (obviously).

Pete McD says:

The hidden gem of the pop tart line is the frosted rasberry. Get hold of those and you can throw a pigskin a quarter mile like Uncle Rico.

But they’re a rare find so I usually dig the brown sugars.

That Recipe: Catch bluefish, practice club and release, immediately cut the gills to bleed out, fillet, skin, then bread and bake in the oven with a slathering of mayo and grey poupon until the breading is golden brown and feed it to your fucking cat because bluefish taste like ass.

“The hidden gem of the pop tart line is the frosted rasberry.” Hear! Hear!

@PMcD – I believe the disclosure of Flavor X constitutes hotspotting.

@Streamer – And you were just indicted for complicity.

Mea culpa. Just trying to throw them off the scent of my Clif Bars….

Pete McD says:

What, did I name that out loud? And type it? Damn this antihistamine medication.

I have tried [REDACTED], [REDACTED], and, [REDACTED]… But I have found [REDACTED] to be the best pre-fishing foodness.

…see what I did there?

Streamertyer says:

Returning to this topic, having just stumbled upon a motherlode of elusive, coveted seasonal Pop-Sustenance, in a dark, secluded corner of the nearby (un-named) grocery store. Pumpkin Pie and Gingerbread are the flavors. Taking bids…

Amazing find! Sadly it’s the holidays, and with more people to buy for I have to step aside in what is sure to be a lucrative auction.

Streamertyer says:

Of course the bids comment was a joke. Who could sell such goodness?