Menu

Michael Gracie

Getting Wireshark running on OS X Snow Leopard 10.6

WiresharkWireshark is every fly fisher who’s missing the fall brown run’s ubergeek’s favorite network protocol analyzer, both because it kicks main butt, and it’s free. With the recent upgrade to Snow Leopard, I finally found a need to upgrade. Then the trouble started (i.e. Wireshark didn’t work anymore). After doing a little research and scanning the support boards, I’ve got it running error free. But as the tips I used to get it that way are spread across the interwebs, I’m assembling the step-by-step here for the rest of you streamer-obsessed knuckleheads who are breaking fly rods over their knees as we speak Wireshark/Snow Leopard users who have just as little time on their hands as I do right now.

(more…)

Snow Leopard upgrade notes (UPDATED)

I upgraded yesterday. Here’s what happened…

The MacBook Pro was a Tiger install upgraded to Leopard. I deactivated and removed Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, and Acrobat 7 as I knew they wouldn’t run afterward (and really ran kind of lame beforehand too). I had 51.77 GB on the drive, which I then backed up with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive. Immediately post-install I had 64.99 GB of drive space. I don’t know how much of that pickup is attributable to the base 10 change, but 13 gigs is quite a difference. I think it probably had more to do with cleaning up the two previous installs.

I lost quite a few apps, but by choice. Anything that required Rosetta was deleted, and I don’t think the machine is any worse for wear. After cleanup I was sitting on just over 70GB of free space. There were some [geeky] quirks too:

  • Little Snitch still runs, but when messing with settings System Preferences reverts to 32-bit mode.
  • I had to re-pair the Nokia with the computer, bluetooth-wise. My AT&T service still isn’t any better.
  • MySQL ceased operation, and I believe it had something to do with symlinks from the startup module. I upgraded to 5.1.39, the 64-bit version, and all is good again. I also ran Marc Liyanage’s script for removing MySQL, and it found an old version 4 lying around. It never harmed anything before (I was previously running like 5.1.10), but freeing up even more drive space was a blessing in disguise.
  • Home grown OpenSSL certificates got wiped out. Now I get to follow my own instructions for re-creation. I found this out when Apache wouldn’t start, and thought it strange that the upgrade would delete the certs while the httpd.conf file was left untouched.
  • GD is included in the PHP build, which is now 5.3.0. No need to plug that in anymore.
  • mcrypt was not included in the new PHP build. And that problem has already been solved.
  • My hosts file doesn’t seem to work anymore. Still haven’t figured out what the issue is there.

It was a sum total six or so hours of work. Still well worth the hassles, as I picked up roughly 18GB of drive space and the machine is now noticeable snappier.

MG signing off (while keeping his fingers crossed he didn’t overlook anything)

UPDATE: Also, I’ve taken to GIMP as the go-to photo editing tool, at least until I work up the courage to plunk down the dough for CS4 (or is that CS5). The universal binary, version 2.6.7 for Leopard, works just fine here.

Plugging mcrypt into PHP, on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1

First mcrypt on Leopard, and now we ready for the winter cat. Additionally, special thanks goes out in advance to commenter Yvan Barthelemy (a.k.a. ybart) for cluing me in here. The procedure is almost exactly like the previous…almost. So pay attention.

The following instructions cater to those who a) are developing on OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1, b) need the capabilities provided by mcrypt during their PHP development, and c) do not want to completely recompile PHP to get there. You’ll get mcrypt loading dynamically for use in PHP with this method.

(more…)